Laurent Blanc, 47, has been presented as coach of Paris Saint-Germain. He began his time at the club by paying tribute to Zlatan Ibrahimovic, 31.
– Zlatan is important for PSG. He has shown that he is a fantastic player and a pro, he says.
There has been a lot of rumors revolving around Paris Saint-Germain in the summer. Earlier this week it was announced that Laurent Blanc is Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s new boss.
– I’m very proud to be here. We are facing a very exciting challenge, says Blanc and continues:
– We have high ambitions so I expect a lot from all the players. Although we won the league and reached the quarterfinals in the Champions League last year, the goal is to do better this year, he says.
When asked if there will be any additional players joining Paris Saint-Germain this year Blanc answered:
– I understand that you do not have patience but it is too early to talk about transfers. But the season is long enough and it will happen things like players leaving and arriving.
As a player, the former defender has a long list of qualifications, including the World Cup and European Championship gold medals and games in clubs like Barcelona, Inter Milan and Manchester United.
– Laurent was a fantastic player and has represented some of the biggest clubs in the world. I am confident that he will succeed here, says PSG’s president Nasser Al-Khelaifi, who also promised:
– Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Thiago Silva will stay at the club until their contract expires.
It seems that the latest possible problems between Mino Railo and Jean-Pierre Bernes has not really affected the relationship between Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Laurent Blanc.
As a coach Blanc had a success during three seasons in Bordeux (2007-2010), which gave him the job as French coach (2010-2012). Laurent Blanc takes over PSG on 1 July and his contract extends over two years.
2005 both Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Andreas Ivanschitz were two young players on their way up in their playing careers. They met in the Champions League group stage when Zlatan Juventus took on Rapid Vienna. An easy 3-0 victory for Juventus, a goal from Zlatan Ibrahimovic and a bang that left their mark.
– It was not unfair, but I tried to tackle Ibrahimovic. I glanced at him and flew out on the track and landed on my right arm, said Ivanschitz.
– I was in terrible pain, bleeding, and I thought I broke my elbow. But I knocked down Zlatan too, but he was not injured.
– Zlatan is a beast, very physically strong.
Ivanschitz was taken to a hospital in Turin where the elbow was sutured. The memory of Ibrahimovic for the offensive midfielder is a scar after the six stitches. What do you want for revenge on Friday?
– I’m not looking for Zlatan. It was a long time since it happened, and there was no foul. But if we can pick him out of the game, it’s a huge, huge advantage for us, says the Mainz 05 player. We have studied Sweden on video in recent days, and we know how to play.
– I’m sure that we get off the pitch with three points on Friday said Andreas Ivanschitz.
Here are the nightmare odds for Zlatan Ibrahimovic:
1) He will never win the Champions League.
2) He will not end up in Juventus.
This according to latest odds compilers.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic and his French club Paris Saint Germain shook Barcelona on Wednesday at Camp Nou. But when the referee blew the final whistle the match ended 1-1 and Barcelona went ahead at 3-3, thanks to away goals.
Now comes the bleak odds from betting company Unibet.
Odds compilers predict that Zlatan Ibrahimovic will not win the Champions League during his active career.
– We do not believe it, he’s not getting any younger and the teams he may move to do not get any better, says Jonas Nilsson, PR manager of the gaming company.
The odds also points out that the recent relocation rumors do not come true.
There will be no games in the former club Juventus in the fall, but his career continues in Paris, according to odds.
– PSG have something going on and should be able to be with and challenge in the Champions League next year. We do not think it goes all the way even then. Zlatan will not win the Champions League during his active career as a footballer, says Jonas Nilsson.
Zlatan has during has career won a total of nine league titles and this year with Paris SG he is heading for his 10th title. However during his career he has only been able to get one cup title and this could be the second time he wins one.
After the elimination in Champions League and the defeat against Barcelona the aim for Paris SG and Zlatan Ibrahimovic is not to win the national titles. With a lead of 9 points with 6 matches left the league looks like a sure thing. In the French cup Paris SG have reached the quarter final. The oposition this Wednesday are Evian who are close to getting eliminated in the league.
The cup means a lot to us says PSG midfielder Blaise Matuidi in an interview published on the teams webpage.
For Zlatan Ibrahimovic would a French double be a plaster on the wound in his so far fruitless hunt for a Champions League title. Only once has the Swede won a national doubles, league and cup, and it was during his first season with Ajax in Spring 2002.
Any more cup titles has not happened. The only league title misses came in 2003, during his second season at Ajax, and 2012, when he played for AC Milan.